Temperatures are expected to drop extremely low this Christmas week ... and everyone needs to remember to exercise fire safety to protect your homes and your loved ones.

 “We’ve had five fires in two weeks,” said Fire Chief Jason Douglas. One is still under investigation, two are from unattended cooking and two are from space heaters.

 Metter Fire-Rescue has responded to calls on Eason Road on Dec. 19, Acorn Lane on Dec. 18, Victoria Road on Dec. 16, Canoochee Road on Dec. 15 and Elmer St. on Dec. 9.

 “Everyone needs to remember that space heaters need at least three feet of clear space around them. Keep children and pets away from space heaters and remember to turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.”

 “And, of course, never leave cooking unattended, and make sure to test smoke alarms at least once a month.”

 Douglas reminds the community that Metter Fire-Rescue offers smoke detectors at no charge for residents. In fact, residents of a Canoochee Road property that caught fire were alerted and able to safely exit the property because of a smoke detector installed by Metter Fire-Rescue.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.